Friday 9 March 2012

Fashion Moment: The 2012 Academy Awards

I wasn't totally satisfied with the level of fashion coverage I saw on the Oscars broadcast, so I made my own.  Here are my personal favorites...

Getty 
I’m smitten: Gwyneth Paltrow in creamy Tom Ford. My fave Oscar look.  Love that it’s modern, but still very feminine.  The asymmetrical neckline, the matching long coat, and the jewelry restricted to one hand, are the epitome of chic.

Wins the “Kitten” for: Class In A Glass




Paul Buck
I’m smitten:  Angelina Jolie takes a totally different direction than Gwyneth.  But on the opposite end of the glamour spectrum, I also deeply dig this fierce black velvet Atelier Versace.  The sky-high slit & architectural draping are very Jessica Rabbit.  (And of course, Angelina’s leg acquired its own Twitter account during the Oscars broadcast, and turned into this crazy meme.) ;)

Wins the “Kitten” for: Best Full-On Vamp





Jay L. Clendenin

I’m smitten: Judy Greer is hotness in this black & silver bugle-beaded Art Deco inspired Monique Lhuillier.  Fitting for the year a silent movie set in 1927 wins Best Picture.  (This is the gown I’d be most likely to wear myself.)

Wins the “Kitten” for: Sexiest Art Deco






Getty
 I’m smitten:  Bret McKenzie looks razor sharp in his tux.  Love the retro bow-tie & black buttons (which I hear he accidentally popped off later!) and his groomed but not slick hair & beard.  (Also love ‘Flight of the Conchords’, so yay for his Oscar win!)
Wins the “Kitten” for: Best Penguin Suit





Getty
I’m smitten: Giuliana Rancic also nailed a nod to the Art Deco era with this cream and silver Tony Ward confection.  Again the retro beading, and stunning shoulder details, mean she really doesn’t need any jewelry.

Wins the “Kitten” for: This Year’s Swan Queen  (And for bravely fighting cancer in style!)






Getty
I’m smitten:  Jessica Chastain in this vintage-looking black Alexander McQueen.  The pleating & gold embroidery make me feel like she just stepped out of a Gustav Klimt painting.  (I miss the complicated & talented Mr. McQ!)  Again, such ornate embellishment on the dress means very little jewelry.

Wins the “Kitten” for: Wearing Gold But Avoiding Lamé  (Are you listening, Meryl?)




Jason Merritt

I’m smitten: Christopher Plummer with his Best Supporting Actor Oscar for Beginners (one of my fave movies of 2011), and looking totally plummy in his dark navy blue velvet jacket.  Proud, posh, and sporting his Order of Canada pin on the lapel.  Bravo Captain Von Trapp!

Wins the “Kitten” for: Most Distinguished




Mark Boster
I’m smitten: Natalie Portman really pulls off this vintage 1954 strapless polka-dot red Dior Couture gown.  It’s sweet, but fresh - not cloying.  Glam dark scarlet nails, and high watt Harry Winston diamonds stay in the same era; but say lady, so they balance out the fun (and nicely-unexpected) polka-dots.

Wins the “Kitten” for: Best Vintage




Frazer Harrison

I’m smitten: Michelle Williams looked beautifully unique in her layered silk chiffon peplum Louis Vuitton.  The antique Fred Leighton jewels suit the dress, and the unexpected placement of the brooch and contrasting colour of the clutch are right on point. I also seriously dig the contrast of the delicate feminine silhouette with the boldness of the tangerine colour, and the retro styling of the outfit with her modern haircut. 

Wins the “Kitten” for: Most Unique

No comments:

Post a Comment