Wednesday 14 March 2012

I'm baffled: Daylight Savings Time


Can I just say it?  Daylight Savings has never made sense to me.  Different locations do it at different times, and some locations don't do it at all.  Must be a nightmare for the transportation industry!  As far as I can tell it was originally adopted during World War I, to save energy from incandescent lighting. But what might've made sense back then, doesn't seem to make sense anymore - it just messes with schedules and equipment.

(image via wikipedia)

The orange regions on this world map used to use DST but have stopped, and only the blue regions still use it.  (The red ones never used it.)  Wouldn't it be good for us to consciously evaluate why we do things, and not just trudge robotically, unquestioningly forward?  Just because something's always been done a certain way, doesn't mean that's the best way to continue doing it.  (I've said this before, haven't I?  ha ha)

"I have a nagging suspicion that the hour I just missed may have been a crucial, life changing, glorious 60 minutes. ...Or an extra hour in bed." 
- Edgar Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment