Monday 3 September 2012

Hail Britannia!

Perhaps it's the influence of the recent London Summer Olympics?  But I've been bitten by Britannia... and I'm smitten.

via zazzle.com

postalheritage.org.uk


One of my besties worked at the games, and periodically emailed interesting tidbits about both the Olympics & London itself.  Here's a stunning photo she sent of Beach Volleyball at Horse Guards Parade:
Diane Wild
My whole family did in fact assemble to watch the Closing Ceremonies to catch the spectacle & some of our fave musicians (Annie Lennox for my sis and I, The Who for my Dad.)  I dug the Union Jack stage, the fireworks, the British taxis and the brilliant 3D puzzle of John Lennon's face, too -
via BeCore.tumblr
- amazing production value from designer Es Devlin (see below).

Or maybe it's the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, the recent scandalous antics of Prince Harry, or looking at hundreds of pretty photos of charming Northern Ireland...
via tourist-destinations.com

 from another buddy's trip to the UK, that have permeated my thoughts...
Charlene Mayerle
Charlene Mayerle
Charlene Mayerle
...Either way, it seems like the fates are conspiring to insert Great Britain into my consciousness.

So because I've caught the fever for the flavour, here are a few random selections from my current Brit obsessions (because I already raved about Banksy here.) :

1.)  Es Devlin - Costume/Stage/Production Designer, Creative Director
Eamonn McCabe
This talented lady from Kent (along with her team) is the brains behind the Summer Olympic Closing Ceremonies that I mentioned above.

"One of the key factors in crafting extraordinary shows is time to rehearse in detail.  In this case, we will be setting up in 17 hours, with no rehearsal in the stadium prior to the performance in front of a billion TV viewers..."
-Es Devlin
via BeCore.tumblr
Since 1996, Ms. Devlin has been winning awards for costume/stage/production design for some of the most reputable opera, ballet, and theatre houses in the world and their productions of Faust, Carmen, Salome, Don Giovanni, and MacBeth, to name a few.

'Faust' for Semperoper Dresden - Es Devlin

'Batman Live', London - Es Devlin
Not to mention a few dazzling stage productions for some li'l ol' pop stars like Kanye West, Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Muse, The Pet Shop Boys, Mika, Imogen Heap, Goldfrapp, Shakira and Jay-Z.
No big deal.

Lady Gaga 'Monster Ball' Tour - Es Devlin

set design for Take That 'Progress' tour via telegraph.co.uk


Mika show at Parc des Princes, Paris - Es Devlin

See Es Devlin's impressive oeuvre here.


2.)  Sherlock - Masterpiece Theatre miniseries, BBC One



This update on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's classic detective adventures treads the line between past & present brilliantly...  I was hooked right from the start with the great title sequence.  The combination of modern references (smartphone technology and the Afghan war) mixed with traditional (overcoats and boardinghouses and beautifully crumbling architecture) makes my pulse race.

As well, the characters are interesting and actually developed, with Benedict Cumberbatch (Atonement, The Other Boleyn Girl) giving a virtuoso performance as Holmes - fascinating not only for his keen powers of deduction, but for his complete disregard for being liked, or fitting into society.  It's a kick to live vicariously through him for an hour and a half.

Straight man Watson as played by Martin Freeman (The Hobbit, Love Actually), is a little different in this interpretation, more damaged than ditzy.  And best of all, the writing (by Mark Gatiss & Steven Moffat) rocks.  The reason this show has the edge on another good Brit detective series, Luther, (despite my fangirling of the delectable Idris Elba) is that the crime/violence aspect is perfectly tempered with dry humour.  I like mystery and suspense, but I don't like the all-out negativity and suffocating bleakness that so often accompany gratuitous CSI-type procedurals.  With Sherlock the tone can veer into creepy or macabre, but will have me laughing out loud a moment later.

©BBC
My Dad introduced me to the whole Holmes & Watson phenomenon by getting me to read The Hound of the Baskervilles the summer after fourth grade, so it was cool to see their interpretation of that particular storyline.  Another favorite episode is: A Scandal in Belgravia (an update of A Scandal in Bohemia).  I suppose I enjoyed it because it combines a lot of the elements I like - international espionage/intrigue, fashion, decor; the introduction of a smart female character; and most unlikely of all (for Sherlock's character, anyway), love - all with a cheeky sense of humour that never gets too camp.

©BBC
While this Grace Adler played by Lara Pulver (True Blood, Spooks) is a little too ruthless & amoral for my preference (a blackmailing dominatrix?, aligning with Moriarty?), there's no questioning the heat in this crackling pairing of Holmes & Adler.  Much more so than in the recent Guy Ritchie film.  (Or maybe I'm just not sure they should be played by Americans?)  Anyway, it's great fun.  Easily one of the best shows on TV.  Fingers crossed that Masterpiece will follow through with plans to start shooting the third series in early 2013.

3.) The Union Jack itself

via HD-wallpaper.biz
The British flag is simply fun to decorate with.  The Union Jack motif is just so rock n' roll as art, or on rugs, pillows or throws...

via housetohome.co.uk
  The options are endless, whether you prefer subtle:

via housetohome.co.uk

or not-so-subtle:
via housetohome.co.uk
Personally, I prefer something in between:

via housetohome.co.uk

via housetohome.co.uk

via housetohome.co.uk
A little dash of it is even fun in fashion:
designerhandbags.me.uk
Like with this retro looking leather Love Moschino 'So British' clutch, or...

designerhandbags.me.uk

...this canvas & leather Barbour 'Union Jack Dryfly' bag.

hunter-boot.com

I'm somewhat partial to this 'original Brit boot' welly from Hunter, myself.  It's perfect for downtown, or strolling across the soggy hills and moors...

Charlene Mayerle

Well, ta for now, I'm off to check out Downton Abbey.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment