Wednesday 1 August 2012

I'm smitten: Mariposas

When I was four or five, my Dad and I made me a butterfly costume for Hallowe'en.  My Dad came up with the design, and we had so much fun decorating it together, that I loved wearing it.  (Most of the design was in the wings, because Hallowe'en in Canada means you might need to wear a snowsuit.)
via toimage
 Several years later I travelled both to a nature reserve with a butterfly hatchery in Hawaii, and a butterfly sanctuary in Michoacan, Mexico, where the Monarchs migrate in winter.


Julio Garcia Castillo




Who knew that little butterflies could fly thousands of miles South like birds?  They're so beautiful and delicate, it was an education to learn that they were that strong.


There are so many butterflies (mariposas, in Spanish) blanketing everything in the sanctuary, that you have to try hard not to step on them!







So, maybe it's no surprise that my heart fluttered when I saw this dress from Mary Katrantzou last week...
Peter Stigter
Fashion artistry!  Everything is exciting and unique - from the graphic print, to the asymmetrical neckline, to the diaphanous pleated overskirt billowing out to the sides as she walks.  Really, it's the closest a grown woman can get to dressing up like a butterfly.  A chic & modern way to relive the fun of your childhood?  I'm all for that!

Less fun?  Many butterfly species are endangered because of habitat depletion.
Here are some ways to garden for butterflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment