Tuesday 24 July 2012

I'm smitten: The Sea


“Look at that sea, girls--all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen. We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds.” 
- L.M. Montgomery



via leroidesreines

Busted: whenever I'm caught staring out a window or blankly into space, I'm secretly daydreaming I'm in the picture above - sparkly-eyed out on the sparkly sea...



Lake Erie, Port Dover, Ontario, Canada         Jenna Adams



Ever dream about escaping for the day?  Whenever I daydream about a little escape, my thoughts always gravitate to the water.  It calls to me.  



Lake Erie, Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada       Jenna Adams




Pacific Ocean, Oregon coastline, USA         Jenna Adams

I feel a sense of serenity when I'm near the sea or a lake, that is unmatched by anything else.  

Pacific Ocean, Point Arena, California, USA         Jenna Adams






Atlantic Ocean, Cape Spear, Newfoundland, Canada       Jenna Adams



Two Jack Lake, Banff, Alberta, Canada       Jenna Adams

Lake Michigan, South Haven, Michigan, USA         Jenna Adams










I'm a watery soul: it doesn't matter if I'm zipping in a motorboat with friends, lazily floating on a raft feeding ducks with a sweetheart, or just bobbing in the waves smelling the salt on my skin and feeling it twist through my hair... 




...I get a sense of rejuvenation in my spirit...  Just from looking at it.    

Lake Ontario, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada       Jenna Adams

Huddling around a campfire on the beach with buddies, talking and laughing and listening to the magnificent roar of the sea in the dark, is my idea of heaven.


Lake Michigan, South Haven, Michigan, USA       Jenna Adams


Lake Okanagan, Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Lake Superior, Ashland, Wisconson, USA      Jenna Adams   

Scientists say that we're 2/3 water, so maybe this feeling I have is just nature calling to itself?


Sturgeon River, St. Albert, Alberta, Canada       Jenna Adams

"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea."
- Isak Dineson (Karen Blixen)


Pacific Ocean, Malibu, California, USA          Jenna Adams











Water reflects the sky and the clouds and the moods of the weather.  Like our souls, it absorbs and dissolves, it darkens, and refreshes.  


Pacific Ocean, Gualala, California, USA       Jenna Adams

It sparkles at one point and churns and crashes the next.  It is both supremely flexible and unyielding.  It's the universal solvent, simultaneously wielding the power to kill, and to provide the absolute essence of life. 


Lake Michigan, South Haven, Michigan, USA         Brad Ballantyne










“hark, now hear the sailors cry, 
smell the sea, and feel the sky 
let your soul & spirit fly, into the mystic...”
- Van Morrison







Atlantic Ocean, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada       Jenna Adams



Forget slowly decomposing in the cold ground -  when I die, just put me in a canoe, light it on fire, and push me out into the inky dark.  I'll quickly dissolve back into the minerals that will one day make up someone else's tears.

Lake Michigan, South Haven, Michigan, USA       Jenna Adams


No comments:

Post a Comment