Tuesday 12 June 2012

I'm smitten: Kurt Vonnegut



My friend sent me this recently.  Love it!  I love this sentiment about the arts - I think our lives are flat and devoid of depth and meaning without any artistic venue to express ourselves - and I love Vonnegut.  He has an empathetic and humanist perspective that I identify with very much, and his writing is very darkly funny and accessible.  His style is very American, like Twain and Salinger (who I also love), and so unpretentious, he seems like he could be your (very smart, very moving) buddy at the bar.   And his thoughts on war, after serving in WWII, are honest and poignant - very relatable, but not romanticized.  If you haven't read Cat's Cradle or Slaughterhouse-Five (which in my imagination might have in some way inspired The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, and been inspired by The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald), I highly recommend them.  A different friend just recommended God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater, so it'll be next on the reading list for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment